The Liber Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it me or...

2 posters

Go down

Is it me or... Empty Is it me or...

Post by Marisha March 28th 2008, 2:10 pm

... "The Historian" from that girl, cant remember the authours name, something like kournikova or Kalachnikov LOL... SUCKS?

Sad
Marisha
Marisha
Liberman Basic
Liberman Basic

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Is it me or... Empty Re: Is it me or...

Post by Godiva83 March 29th 2008, 5:56 pm

Marisha wrote:... "The Historian" from that girl, cant remember the authours name, something like kournikova or Kalachnikov LOL... SUCKS?

Sad

Actually, I think so too! Sorry... Surprised

I decided to read this book because it was marketed as "The Da Vinci Code" with Dracula in the scene, and thought "Cool!"

NOT. It's just ridiculous. And the characters are always stuffing their faces with some Turkish dish, jesus...
Godiva83
Godiva83
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://theliberboards.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marisha April 2nd 2008, 6:02 pm

Right, Elizabeth Kostova... I remember now... I read some really funny reviews on Amazon, but the worst part is that they are so right!

I happen to agree with something along this lines, sorry Miss K Mad :

I've never read a book so cruddy that took itself so seriously. Kostova doesn't have a light-hearted bone in her body, and not much in the way of writing skills, either. Her editor needed an editor, and that editor probably needed another editor after that; it's as if she started writing, and simply couldn't stop. Her characters are one-dimensional ciphers who function on the level of a Dan Brown novel. Mostly, they sit around and explain plot points that everyone in the story should already understand.

Everyone who hated this novel seems to have a particular pet peeve about it, so here's mine: EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER speaks in exactly the same way. Whether it's a teenage girl, an American professor, a Turkish writer, or a Hungarian scholar whose rusty English isn't supposed to be very good, every single one speaks in a florid, pompous, over-ripe manner which will drive you insane.

So there's not much plot development, the characters are paper-thin, and there's very little suspense. Only Chapter 73 delivers the goods in terms of creepiness; just read it and skip the 640 pages that sandwich it. If you do choose to read this massive piece of dreck, try and keep count of how many times Kostova's narrators use the phrases 'We sat stunned', 'We sat mute,' and 'We sat silent' after they're told of yet another silly plot contrivance. I stopped counting after twelve; maybe you'll do better.

By Peter Johnson "JohnsonJohnson314"
Marisha
Marisha
Liberman Basic
Liberman Basic

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down